GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best value - DW or PSS

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
So I finally decided to upgrade to 19" wheels with 235 35 tires.

Thing is, at this size... Michelin PSS are about $1k for the set. I was determined to get these originally.

Continental DW are about half the price at just over $500.

So question is... which would you guys buy? I've had DW on my 350z in the past and racing instructor specifically mentioned they were good tires and that he liked them. I thought they were a bit soft and wanted to go PSS just for the experience.

That said, $500 can go a long way on some other mods or track time or just more sets of tires.

It seems pretty unanimous that PSS are better than DW. I'm not debating that at all. It also seems pretty unanimous that DW are respectable. The question I'm asking is in this case, at these prices what would you guys buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR11

Ready to race!
I would ask the tire rack rep in the wheel/tire section. From a track perspective, I've done 6 days on the PSS and they don't feel like they are up to par for that kind of use. If you're interested in doing track events and don't need to drive these year round I'd bump it up to an re-11 or something.

Cruiser

Ready to race!
I prefer pss, but they are expensive for me. Plus they dont wear as long as dw, so the cost is greater than initial price. I just bought dw again, about the fourth set i bought.
I've lost two tires from road damage, maybe because so soft? V12 is another consideration, but heavy

Swoope

Ready to race!
how often do you track your car, and what level are you at?

beers

Swoope

Ready to race!

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
Track once a month. It's a short slow baby track though. Max speed you can hit on a straight is like 60-70mph depending how good you are.

Used to take the 350z out there. DW held up but feathered a bit on the outside. But I had thought that was a 350z issue as that model year had issues with feathering because of alignment.

I'm not trying to set any records. Just want to have the most fun I can.

19s because I don't like the 18s I bought. Didn't want to go 19s but couldn't find any other lightweight wheels I liked. Haven't purchased them yet so it's up in the air. Will likely buy during Black Friday sales. I've been looking at wheels for forever.... my criteria is just too specific and limits choices. Sub 1500 for the set. 20lbs max. 8.5 width. 42-47 offset. I like the look. Can rock some sort of Vw center cap or don't have some ugly ass center cap. Ideally hubcentric. Preferably 17-18s. (Conceded on this last point.)

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
I'm aware of the option to just have dedicated track tires..... but the goal of this car from the beginning was to maintain jack of all trades mentality. Set it up on street tires and tune suspension accordingly. Rather than have to completely retune for street tires to Daily and track tires for times.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
So I finally decided to upgrade to 19" wheels with 235 35 tires.

Thing is, at this size... Michelin PSS are about $1k for the set. I was determined to get these originally.

Continental DW are about half the price at just over $500.

So question is... which would you guys buy? I've had DW on my 350z in the past and racing instructor specifically mentioned they were good tires and that he liked them. I thought they were a bit soft and wanted to go PSS just for the experience.

That said, $500 can go a long way on some other mods or track time or just more sets of tires.

It seems pretty unanimous that PSS are better than DW. I'm not debating that at all. It also seems pretty unanimous that DW are respectable. The question I'm asking is in this case, at these prices what would you guys buy?

18 to 19 is a costly jump for wheels and tires.
One reason I did not do it and pot holes are the second.
Look at the new Firestone Indy 500 summer tire.
Lower cost and looks much like a Bridgestone RE-11.
Might be worth a test. A few have run them and had good words.

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
I'm seriously about to go back to the drawing board on wheels........ I had FINALLY made up my mind too...

On 18s, the cost difference between PSS and DW was a lot more minor so I was just going to do PSS. When 19s PSS jumps a lot and DW goes down creating the situation.

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
You guys saying not to get 19s. Can you chime in on any lightweight 18x8.5 wheels you'd recommend? 20lbs max?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I'm seriously about to go back to the drawing board on wheels........ I had FINALLY made up my mind too...

On 18s, the cost difference between PSS and DW was a lot more minor so I was just going to do PSS. When 19s PSS jumps a lot and DW goes down creating the situation.

Well I'll put in my .02. I ran the DW's last year and they held up well. Great grip on the street, predictable, they communicate and the sidewalls are okay. They lose out to the PSS's in grip but they both get destroyed by any 200TW options so that's kind of moot. PSS's pretty sidewalls which make them really not great at AutoX/track stuff. But being in TX, you can easily run the 200TW tires all year. Have you thought about RE-11's?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Well I'll put in my .02. I ran the DW's last year and they held up well. Great grip on the street, predictable, they communicate and the sidewalls are okay. They lose out to the PSS's in grip but they both get destroyed by any 200TW options so that's kind of moot. PSS's pretty sidewalls which make them really not great at AutoX/track stuff. But being in TX, you can easily run the 200TW tires all year. Have you thought about RE-11's?

I second the RE-11s.
I use as DD summer, but others have used as track tires for years.