GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free 6MT mod (part deux): clutch pedal spring removal

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I've just done the mod (really no tools needed besides torx 20 bit, press the pedal in and lift up the top off the hook) and test driven mine. Can't say the difference is all that noticeable (still stalled it once, damn it, CDV already removed). OTOH, I have no idea why VW bothered to add the spring - it seems to serve no purpose other than adding up to the weight of the vehicle. I don't know that an average person would even notice increased clutch pedal resistance. I've never understood folks that complained on heavy clutch anyway but I do pity AT drivers that have to constantly presses on either gas or brake pedals while I'm relaxing in heavy traffic (well, sort of - I just curse them all;)

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Did it yesterday and love it thanks for this!

Finally no more hopping even with timing the shifts perfectly

Did the cdv removal, steel clutch line, spring removal, also f/b s2s short shifters, and brushings. Now feeling fucking amazing lol

Plus stage 3 daily clutch from SB

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Doing this when my BMS clutch stops arrives, probably tomorrow. Thanks for this thread!

I haven't touched the bleeder valve yet. I figure I will do the easiest to reverse changes to the clutch first, before touching anything with the hydraulics. That is sort of why I will get the ECS bleeder block instead of modifying the OE, juuuust in case I don't like it.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Doing this when my BMS clutch stops arrives, probably tomorrow. Thanks for this thread!

I haven't touched the bleeder valve yet. I figure I will do the easiest to reverse changes to the clutch first, before touching anything with the hydraulics. That is sort of why I will get the ECS bleeder block instead of modifying the OE, juuuust in case I don't like it.

Do both the bleeder and the spring. I wasn't able to do the spring just with my bare hands (I guess i'm not a real man) but grabbed some pliers and pulled it out.

The clutch stop is decent, but i actually took mine out when i did my clutch and never put it back in.

oorrllyy

Ready to race!
Anybody know where I can get a stiffer spring? Just installed a Sachs SRE clutch on my wife's car and the clutch pedal is too stiff for her liking. Originally I removed the spring with the stock clutch and it was good. Now with the new clutch, it's still a bit too stiff even with the spring back on. Is this even a good idea?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Anybody know where I can get a stiffer spring? Just installed a Sachs SRE clutch on my wife's car and the clutch pedal is too stiff for her liking. Originally I removed the spring with the stock clutch and it was good. Now with the new clutch, it's still a bit too stiff even with the spring back on. Is this even a good idea?

That clutch will lighten up tremendously over the next few 100 miles. Give it a little. If you just had it done the other day, then it will lighten up 50% within the week.

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. But I just found this thread and about 5 pages in, I went to my car in my work parking lot, looked underneath where my clutch peddle was, removed the spring and drove around for a bit after. And I can say I do notice a difference in engagement. Would highly recommend this mod 10/10

BleezyD

Ready to race!
Damn, first time Im hearing about this. I did the bleeder mod and really liked the added feel. Going to try this out asap.

K_C

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to do this tomorrow. Got the ECS bleeder block this week and having installed for me on Monday (because I have no mechanic chops). Look forward to a better clutch feel, which is probably my biggest negative about the GTI.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

K_C

Passed Driver's Ed
Just did it and took for a short drive. Great mod! Didn't remove panel, just pushed clutch in and you can pull the bottom of the spring straight down with your fingers.

My question is why would VW use this spring on a manual for a car that is performance oriented? On a base Jetta or Golf, maybe. Make the clutch easier, but if you are buying a manual GTI you want the clutch to feel like... a clutch.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk