GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50k miles valve cleaning exploration time

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Just use the Gas buddy app.. you can select gas stations that are top tier. I ran 2 tanks of Sunoco 92 and the car ran like crap and the average mileage was 25mpg... where using Exxon or Costco I was getting 29mpg. When I did a search around KoP I found 76, BP, Exxon, Shell around the area. But Costco 93oct was 2.55 a gallon which is cheaper than regular gas stations let alone the top tier ones.

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Anyone out here with a catch can on a gen 3 that got anything significant out of it?

I heard from one member who had one with higher mileage that he found it worthless and got almost nothing out of his.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I heard from one member who had one with higher mileage that he found it worthless and got almost nothing out of his.
So far the catch cans which retain the factory pcv system show minimal amounts. The ones that show accumulation replace the factory pcv plate and seem to cause issues where there was non previously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the added info. I forgot some removed the PCV system since it's been awhile since I looked into getting one myself. When I was, I only wanted one that retained the factory system :)

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
*UPDATE*

So went in today and pulled off my intake manifold.
History on the car, now at 35k miles, 30 of it is ED stage 2. Oil changed every 5k with Amsoil 5w-40. Three track days, two drag nights, a lot of back road spirited driving. VW fuel system cleaner every 5k. 91oct shell.

Removing the manifold was easy and painless, took about 25mins.
From what I found is that cyl 1 and 2 had some nice carbon nuggets on the valves and cyl 3 and 4 where clean. Some pics of the ports.

After the cleaning the normal after effects of better idle, throttle response and quicker start ups.

I my opinion I would do a decarb every 30k. With the new manifold, not needing to remove the fuel rail, throttle body and charge pipe it really makes the R&R part of the job really simple.
A trick I learned with the new Gen 3 engines, is to removed the radiator fan when working on the front of the engine.
No more screws holding it in, just tabs and the connector is disconnected from the top. Really gives you that extra room that makes some jobs easier.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Man only 25 minutes to remove it? I'd do it yearly if it's that quick lol.

How did you wind up cleaning it? Chemical, blasting or picks?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks so much for doing this. It's really great to have first hand info!

If you do this again, could you please take photos of the process and do a step by step? The forum would love you forever...or at least not saying anything, but use it constantly.

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
Man only 25 minutes to remove it? I'd do it yearly if it's that quick lol.

How did you wind up cleaning it? Chemical, blasting or picks?

Yep air tools and having not been my first. First time was about 35-40mins. Still really simple.
I started with picks to get all the big chunks and first scrape, then fill the cyls with brake clean for 30mins, with a pipe cleaner I wrap the valve stem and like flossing teeth clean the valve stem, also use a set of small wire brushes with a firm tooth brush... lol works really good. When done wash down with brake clean.

How long did the whole process take and what did you use to de carb? Looks promising.

Due to low carbon start to finish 2 1/2 hours.

Thanks so much for doing this. It's really great to have first hand info!

If you do this again, could you please take photos of the process and do a step by step? The forum would love you forever...or at least not saying anything, but use it constantly.

Not the best one but it's really is simple.

Tools:
T25 1/4 drive
T30 1/4 drive
10mm socket 1/4 drive
7mm socket 1/4 drive
1/4 drive extinctions 3" and 6"
3/8 drive extinctions 3" and 6"
10mm triple square 3/8 drive
13mm wrench for manifold mount.
17mm wrench stubby will need to when removing the fuel line lower nut.
24mm socket for crank shaft bolt, to rotate the engine to close valves.

Tips:
) WD40 to help remove boost hose off throttle body.
) Remove the oil filter cap
) Vacuum line from the vacuum pump to the intake manifold. Remove it from the vacuum pump. YOU WILL BRAKE OR DAMAGE THE VACUUM ACTUATOR IF YOU TRY TO REMOVE THE LINE FROM THE ACTUATOR. The green hose held by the pink clip.

How To
The pictures are self explanatory, I added more info where needed.

T30

7mm for 2

T25

You do not have to remove the Charge Pipe, Just loosen the mounts and you can pull the pipe off the throttle body.
7mm for 2
T30 for 1 and 3

Number 3 is the knock sensor and will have to be removed when the manifold is removed. The connector is clipped on and need a pick to remove it.

Remove only 1 and 5

Again only have to loosen the mounts, don't have to remove the charge pipe.

Fuel line support behind the turbo outlet charge pipe.
T30

Counter hold A
17mm

17mm
The line above the fuel line is the other end of the vacuum line from the vacuum pump. Do not try to remove it.

Don't have to remove 2, wire harness is attached to it and will hold it. just move 3 and 1.
13mm for 3
10mm tipple square for 1

T30
10mm for A

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I hope you made sure the valves were closed on which ever cylinder you were working on.. or else your brake cleaner just went down into your engine and into your oil.

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
:rolleyes: ok I skimmed the tools part. That should be some where in your intro and how did you know that each cylinder was closed? Before working on it. lol Other than that the write up looks great.

True, this more a how to remove the manifold.
If people don't know the valves should be closed when doing the cleaning....... God help us and they should not be working on cars imo lol
(Insert BEER glass)