GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendations for Swaybar Size, Front and Rear

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Hello again! Following the heels of my coilovers thread...

Just curious what you all recommend for FSB/RSB size.

I saw the ECS thread on H&R's and I took note of what Bruce and RjRacing said about how they all play with each other.

I'm considering 26" for both front and rear. Good idea? Thoughts? Or should I still go bigger front/smaller rear (28"/26" from H&R)?

Cheers,
Me

Last edited:

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Hello again! Following the heels of my coilovers thread...

Just curious what you all recommend for FSB/RSB size.

I saw the ECS thread on H&R's and I took note of what Bruce and RjRacing said about how they all play with each other.

I'm considering 26" for both front and rear. Good idea? Thoughts? Or should I still go bigger front/smaller rear (28"/26" from H&R)?

Cheers,
Me

I'd go with what the Bruce says. Iirc the h&r bars are not adjustable on the mk7, which makes it tricky. How stiff are your current spring rates? What are your goals for putting the sway bars on?

Remember that the front bar is stiffer due to the weight bias.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'd go with what the Bruce says. Iirc the h&r bars are not adjustable on the mk7, which makes it tricky. How stiff are your current spring rates? What are your goals for putting the sway bars on?

Remember that the front bar is stiffer due to the weight bias.

I'm completely stock for suspension right now and are looking at coilovers and swaybars to achieve a flatter car around corners/"canyon carving" for fun. I don't track as often as I'd like so going 28/26 with H&R might be much.

Bruce did say he recommends at least a 26" FSB due to weight, but the concept of matching the rear something I've played around with for a bit. Anyone doing that now?

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
I'm completely stock for suspension right now and are looking at coilovers and swaybars to achieve a flatter car around corners/"canyon carving" for fun. I don't track as often as I'd like so going 28/26 with H&R might be much.

Bruce did say he recommends at least a 26" FSB due to weight, but the concept of matching the rear something I've played around with for a bit. Anyone doing that now?

Which coilovers are you looking at? Are you going to do the mods piece by piece or all at once? I would do coils first, get them dialed in for how you like then, then decide on bars after.

Since the stock rear is 20.7-21.7, even the solid 24mm would be a big increase in stiffness. There's a fine line though. Some think flat = great handling at the sacrifice of turn in, rotation, grip, and suspension independence.

nikhsub1

What?
For street duty you really don't need a new front bar - go for a solid rear bar (I have a SuperPro 24mm solid) and put it on full stiff. The car will rotate much better for you as it will cut a lot of understeer. You can always do a front bar later on if you feel the need, but I'm pretty sure you won't.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Dave and Nik, thanks for your responses! Much appreciated!

Dave, I'm actually still contemplating the coilovers. I'm not sold yet. I may just go with VWR springs as the only reason I'm looking at coilovers is possibly lowering the front relative to the rear. But really, coilovers vs springs is still up in the air.

I'm more focused on swaybars at this point.

Nik, I contemplated just a RSB, but after reading up on this more and getting advice from local mechanics/race car builders and such, I'm more inclined to replace both. I don't want a "tail-happy" car, but something more neutral and flatter than stock

another question:
Is it safe to mix and match two brands of swaybars (eg: H&R + SuperPro/ST)?

Last edited:

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
I'd rather go with a lighter 25mm hollow bar like the ST or Neuspeed. Couple that with VWR springs and you'll likely be very happy with the performance and have spent under $500 total.

nikhsub1

What?
Nik, I contemplated just a RSB, but after reading up on this more and getting advice from local mechanics/race car builders and such, I'm more inclined to replace both. I don't want a "tail-happy" car, but something more neutral and flatter than stock

another question:
Is it safe to mix and match two brands of swaybars (eg: H&R + SuperPro/ST)?

You can talk to all the 'racers' you want - until they have extensive seat time in YOUR car, it's just talk. Putting a fat rear sway on will not make the car tail happy, it will be more RWD feeling in terms of rotation. My advices stands, plus the front bar is a ginourmous PITA to install, you have to just about remove the subframe... Start with the rear bar, drive a while. Decide. Personally I would not mix/match bars, I know EuroCode makes a set but they are hollow. I am personally not a fan of hollow, I will always go solid but that is just me. Not sure what Neuspeeds are the only ones I know for certain are solid are the SuperPro units...

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'd rather go with a lighter 25mm hollow bar like the ST or Neuspeed. Couple that with VWR springs and you'll likely be very happy with the performance and have spent under $500 total.

Hmmm...interesting. That'd be a good way to start. I can always add the FSB later if I think I need it :)

Cheers!

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I'm pleased with the REVO springs and rear sway bar combo. The rear bar is hollow, and either 25 or 26mm; visually it's quite a bit thicker than the stock bar. The springs are made by Eibach (in fact, Eibach's stamp is on them).

For my first track outing, I had the springs with the stock rear sway.
For my second outing in this car, I had the REVO rear sway as well. Noticeably improved turn-in response.
This combo also feels good on the street. My car is a dd.

Lots of choices out there; a good thing.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'm 99% decided!

VWR Springs + ST RSB (25"). If I decide to get a FSB, ill get th H&R 26" one.

Should a good balance :)

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Looking forward to your impressions compared to stock springs and rear sway.

I always do reviews on the mods I do, so I will advise :)

I'll do them in stages so I can report back how it feels per stage. First step is a set of new rims (lighter) and rubber.

flygteye

Ready to race!
I have the H&R bars 28/26 but they aren't installed...yet.....sigh....If they ever do get installed I'll do a review.