GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thibault's Sportwagen/Variant/Estate 1.4tsi (Chinese market)

Thibault China

Ready to race!
Very cool! Might be fun to be the Guinea pig for a tune
Looks "funny" as you say, but haven't decided yet.

The thing is I don't know what they'll do with or to my ECU...
May be just plug it to a computer or to another engine and run some tests but don't want any opening or multiple tests of new programs on it...
Plus I only know the guy from my local shop (which is the place I installed my Eibach's springs and my APR's boost gauge),
but no one from the shop near Hongkong... which is quite far from where I am!
(I'm living in Ningbo, south of Shanghai, by the way)

And I'll have a maintenance to do next month, with some free paint jobs from my insurance (yearly thing in China for insurance on new cars). My car will stay there nearly a week i think and if a lot of erase/rewrite are done to the ECU, I'm not so confident on how my dealer will react for my car's 1st birthday !
(For just 1 erase/rewrite, still can talk a little if he say something I guess...)

So still unsure on what to do.
(Besides, I have my intake and downpipe for nearly 2000kms now and actual ECU adapt themselves to driving style and what they read on the sensors...but switch back to factory each time you unplug them. But not sure if they don't have short time memory of latest sensors...)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
All they will do is copy the data off of it on to one of their systems. Your ECU is probably similar to the 1.8T, so mainly they will just be seeing what your stock variables are (boost, air fuel ratio, timing advance, etc.)

They probably won't be re-writing much into it beyond confirming they can crack it and flash it in the first place.

I'd definitely ask them some questions though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mario2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf
You will ask better for a free apr upgrade because you're a hero, you're opening the apr repros for 1.4 tsi

Enviado desde mi Z5 Premium E6853 mediante Tapatalk

Thibault China

Ready to race!
So... ECU sent !
20160418-ECU-1 (735 x 788).jpg
20160418-ECU-2 (1051 x 788).jpg

Will be doing some sport this week ^^ which is not that bad with the weather we have...

Thibault China

Ready to race!
I'm really curious how this turns out
Yeah, me too... ha ha.
I just know it's an engineer from APR-USA, still not sure if it's final version of the upgrade they want to check the compatibility of, or if it's to get some more database to continue the development...

Thibault China

Ready to race!
APRIL 2016 mods 3/?

-ECS HATCH POP KIT ES#3046195 (600rmb)
(ordered the kit for the Sportwagen/Estate but written ES#2972830 on the packaging...)
20160419_113627.jpg
BUT It's rrriiiiiissssiiiiinnnng ! ha ha
(Sorry I can't upload videos)

It's working perfectly fine, even with the "emergency triangle kit" and the soundproofing added in the hatch.
A bit noisy at the top but nothing alarming so far.
Here some more pictures:
20160419_113614.jpg
20160419_113545.jpg
20160419_113552.jpg
20160419_112523.jpg

I will see to add grease in the hinges and maybe add some tapes between the hatch and its plastic panel which is where (I think) the noises come from when reaching the upper position.
(not sure yet but the I'm happy with the result!)

My ECU arrived at destination today and the engineer from APR will start work tomorrow only. What is plan with my ECU is only a copy of it's data as the owner of the shop told me "just code extract" which implied it will only result on a 50% discount so far which I'm still happy with...

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hatch Pop Mod.

As you are an attention to detail kind of guy (like most of us here), I wanted to suggest you consider a cosmetic mod I made to my USP Hatch Pop install.
The ball stubs you install have a smaller base than the OE ones. This leaves an unpainted surface around the new stud. I think I can see this on yours. I purchased some thin stainless steel washers that fit under the studs and are wide enough to cover the unpainted surface. I used stainless to prevent rust. It you want more pics or info look on page 6 of my build thread.

Thibault China

Ready to race!
Yeah, i saw your cosmetic upgrade on your build already ^^.
But I planned to paint the uncovered area by the washer.
My father bought me the small OEM paint repair kit (can't get in China through the dealers).
I'll try this way 1st then if not happy with it, I'll use larger washer from one of my suppliers.
Thanx for the reminder!