GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daytime Running Lights & Fog Lights?

Golpher1

Ready to race!
Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Anticipating the arrival of an MY16 GTI this week & wondering if the DRL & LED Fog Lights can be activated at the same time?

Can't say that I've noticed any with both fired up on the road, hence the question.

Edit...
Found this image....http://tinyurl.com/ovncyd9

But hoping just the DRL/Fogs can be used (sans headlights).

Oh, I have my hopes up...
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=403&stc=1&d=1372455715
:)

That's because in the 2nd picture the side lights are on, which is the minimum for the fogs to operate.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Ok, just getting a grasp on the terms used for all the lights in the Bi-Xenon cluster.

The side lights are the only halogen bulbs within the cluster?

Is there are diagram online indicating all the possible light combinations with the Bi-Xenons?

Love the first pic here...
http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2013-10-18-vw-golf-gti-7-finding-that-elusive-balance/
:)

In that pic the side lights are on, you can tell by the small led dot on th inner light cluster, the DRL and main side light are led.

Accipiter Album

If you put on the fog light manually probably if you want automatically I won't be surprised if it won't work. Pending what country your living in, but where I am it is illegal to put on your fog lights unless it's foggy. So if your in a country like mine then it probably won't work automatically. Not to mention if it's setup like my match is, when you put them on manually the back one comes on first.

Golpher1

Ready to race!
If you put on the fog light manually probably if you want automatically I won't be surprised if it won't work. Pending what country your living in, but where I am it is illegal to put on your fog lights unless it's foggy. So if your in a country like mine then it probably won't work automatically. Not to mention if it's setup like my match is, when you put them on manually the back one comes on first.

Edit....
Currently, with my non Bi-Xenon lights, the Auto setting turns on the low beams. I also pull out the lights switch, so the fog lights light up.

I think you're right re: fog lights being illegal - not sure why that would be though as the LED fog lights on the MK7 look like daytime running lights ie. non-distracting..

Last edited:

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have access to VCDS, the fogs can be coded to be on with the DRLs.

(5)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12 (from: not active - to: daytime running lights)
(5)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13 (from: not active - to: daytime running lights)

Keep in mind, this is a US-spec car with automatic headlights and Xenons. Also, at night, your headlights will come on and the fog lights will turn off automatically, so you'll have to activate the fog lights manually at that point.

photobyvito

Passed Driver's Ed

(5)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12 (from: not active - to: daytime running lights)
(5)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13 (from: not active - to: daytime running lights)

Keep in mind, this is a US-spec car with automatic headlights and Xenons. Also, at night, your headlights will come on and the fog lights will turn off automatically, so you'll have to activate the fog lights manually at that point.

There ya go.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

sidepocket: In regards to the part of your post that I have bolded above, I made a suggestion to a colleague on Vortex a couple of days ago that might solve the problem. Below is a variant of my Vortex post including your DRL tweak suggestion.

The change makes the front fog lights act as DRLs and the fogs remain switched-on when the rotary light switch is in the auto position. The way that you switch-off the fogs with my tweak is pull-out the centre switch in the rotary light switch (i.e. the normal fog-on switch - becomes a fog-off switch with my tweak)

Cheers
Don

PS: please excuse the format that I have used in the picture- its the same format that I use in my Leuchte programming paper. I've shown the full 19 x Leuchte channels for each lamp (i.e. the Leuchte channel-set) for completeness.
PPS: I have taken the "old settings " in the table from an NAR model mk7 with LED fog lights (the original query on Vortex was from a USA colleague). If the car has incandescent fog lights, the dimming value for the AB alpha pair will be set to 100 (instead of 127) and the 3 x Set-up adaptation channels will be different (this doesn't matter for the purposes of the tweak)
PPPS: someone on Vortex asked me what happens in the blank parts of the "new settings" in the table - If any adaptation channel has a blank entry in "new settings", leave the setting unchanged

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
sidepocket: In regards to the part of your post that I have bolded above, I made a suggestion to a colleague on Vortex a couple of days ago that might solve the problem. Below is a variant of my Vortex post including your DRL tweak suggestion.

The change makes the front fog lights act as DRLs and the fogs remain switched-on when the rotary light switch is in the auto position. The way that you switch-off the fogs with my tweak is pull-out the centre switch in the rotary light switch (i.e. the normal fog-on switch - becomes a fog-off switch with my tweak)

Cheers
Don

PS: please excuse the format that I have used in the picture- its the same format that I use in my Leuchte programming paper. I've shown the full 19 x Leuchte channels for each lamp (i.e. the Leuchte channel-set) for completeness.
PPS: I have taken the "old settings " in the table from an NAR model mk7 with LED fog lights (the original query on Vortex was from a USA colleague). If the car has incandescent fog lights, the dimming value for the AB alpha pair will be set to 100 (instead of 127) and the 3 x Set-up adaptation channels will be different (this doesn't matter for the purposes of the tweak)
PPPS: someone on Vortex asked me what happens in the blank parts of the "new settings" in the table - If any adaptation channel has a blank entry in "new settings", leave the setting unchanged

So,

I have the euroswitch. If I follow your instructions for making the foglights act as DRLs, A) my DRLs WILL still work, right? and B) if I leave my lightswitch in the Auto position without pulling it out (so that the fogs are on) - will the auto function work as it's SUPPOSED TO? As is, the auto function works fine but if i pull it out for the fogs, it ceases to act as an "auto" switch, and automatically turns the xenons on and the DRLs down to 50%. I just want to be able to leave my fogs on at ALL times and have the auto function work as intended ie: DRLs 100%, no xenons during the day and Xenons at night/DRLs 50%

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Despite what I just said, to the OP - if you get a Euroswitch then without any coding you can activate your fogs while the DRLs are on. it allows you to pull the switch out when in the "city lights" position (the two beams facing each other). The stock US switch only allows you to pull the switch outward for fogs in the lowbeam/auto position.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
[
So,

I have the euroswitch. If I follow your instructions for making the foglights act as DRLs, A) my DRLs WILL still work, right? and B) if I leave my lightswitch in the Auto position without pulling it out (so that the fogs are on) - will the auto function work as it's SUPPOSED TO? As is, the auto function works fine but if i pull it out for the fogs, it ceases to act as an "auto" switch, and automatically turns the xenons on and the DRLs down to 50%. I just want to be able to leave my fogs on at ALL times and have the auto function work as intended ie: DRLs 100%, no xenons during the day and Xenons at night/DRLs 50%

GolfWang: As I live in the Antipodes and more importantly, because our cars down here are RoW models (not NAR), I'm not able to "pre-test" my tweak for the American market. My suggestion is untested for this reason. Sadly, I'm unable to provide an emphatic, 100%, water-tight guarantee of the veracity of my suggestion

Best case scenario - it works. Worst case scenario - it doesn't work and you will need to revert back the settings.

However, given your obvious apprehension and your desire for more concrete assurance, it might be better that you don't try my tweak. If I can help on any other matter, please ask
Don

Last edited:

Golpher1

Ready to race!
Ok, so I've noticed when in the Auto lights setting during the day, the Daytime Running Lights are at their brightest.

When you try to add the LED Foglights by pulling the switch out once, the DRL dim down to about half their intensity.

Was hoping the DRL would remain at their brightest whilst the Foglights are on.

So the only way to do this is via VCDS tweaking as above I assume (I'll read over them again)..

Also noticed the Cornering Lights can be adjusted in the MIB II settings to turn on earlier or latter into the turn, which is good because I thought their default setting was a bit late.

xPETEZx

Passed Driver's Ed
Why would you want to be driving around with Fogs on all the time?
Just because they are LED does not mean they are not blinding/distracting.
The whole point of a fog lamp is to shine bright through the fog.
Having them on during the day is not so bad I suppose, as its so bright out anyway. But when driving at night, somebody coming the other way with Fogs on is extremely distracting.

Dont blind other drivers because it looks cool.

You dont drive with Full beams on all the time either. Why drive with Fogs on all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk