GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
I know it doesn't look much but I locate those two tabs over the bumper tray part to take the weight of the skidtray whilst I thread a couple of the bolts in the rear subframe & the front hangers.

A Very Important Part!!:cool:, I'd like a perfect one also & defo at the cost of them also!

I 100% agree, and told them to please send whatever parts they have ready (I ordered other unrelated items) now and that I'll wait for an unbroken tray. They recommended gluing it but that obviously wouldn't work. Worst case scenario, I could fab a piece of sheet metal and screw it to the tray to replace the tab. But I'd rather not.

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
Those scammers sent you MY pictures. Those are my shoes you're seeing!

You are keeping your tray, correct? So they can't be trying to pawn yours on me. Maybe they keep getting them in broken and after your complaint they are making sure before sending them out, and sent me your picture for simplicity's sake.

If you received everything else as ordered, I personally wouldn't think of them as scammers, it's just the first course of action for most business to deflect blame to someone, usually the carrier. I've had this happen with many companies in and outside the automotive world.

I'm not defending them, just giving them the benefit of the doubt until they do something extraordinarily shitty.

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
Mine wasn't broken when it was sent out.

Do legitimate businesses refuse refunds and force the customer to get a full refund via Paypal freezing their account and pulling the funds out? Good luck.

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
Mine wasn't broken when it was sent out.

Do legitimate businesses refuse refunds and force the customer to get a full refund via Paypal freezing their account and pulling the funds out? Good luck.

On their Returns page they clearly state that a claim with the carrier will be filed if items are damaged. Though I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer that solution. But you are not entitled to a refund by e-acca here, you agreed to that when you made your purchase.

Like I said before, all "legitimate" businesses play the same game. Obviously they learned from your issue as they saw my broken part before shipping and offered a resolution. I obviously don't know every detail of your interaction with them, but you certainly were not "scammed." You received over 95% of your items as ordered but one piece was damaged in shipping, calling them scammers is slanderous and inaccurate.

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
Again, they refused to file a claim with the carrier. Maybe you haven't kept up.

I was obviously entitled to a refund because I used Paypal. Scammers can't hide from them. They even refused to correspond with Paypal so a second strike was placed against their account for that.

So funny that the scammers sent you my photos as their own.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I believe part II (5Q0 825 229) is now replaced by

5Q0 825 230F
I ordered it for 5 euro's, I will let you know if it will fit.

Scratch that... it doesn't fit the GTE.
Here's an image of the part:

It has the right locations for the mounting points, but it's a bit too wide, or so it seems.
Does anyone else have a picture of the 229 part?

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

It has the right locations for the mounting points, but it's a bit too wide, or so it seems.

RESIZE THAT DOWN!!!....FFS!!!:eek:

That part looks similar to my front exhaust tunnel cover:-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103088&postcount=3

& yes mine did go in & out like that just the fitted photo makes it look straight edges.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

That's better!!....;)

The two holes that are far apart which are on the left side of the picture, fit into the rear of the front subframe brackets. The two holes which are close together on the right of the picture, fit into the holes in the exhaust tunnel mid x brace. The two tabs fit under/behind the plastic side panels. :cool:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
That's better!!....;)

The two holes that are far apart which are on the left side of the picture, fit into the rear of the front subframe brackets. The two holes which are close together on the right of the picture, fit into the holes in the exhaust tunnel mid x brace. The two tabs fit under/behind the plastic side panels. :cool:

yeah, that's exactly how I aligned them, but the entire part seems to be too wide (especially the left part of the image), and the front 2 holes seem to have a strange angle... They do line up with the bracket, but the holes aren't pointing up, but slightly diagonal. I'll try again when it's on a bridge somewhere, should be easier than sliding under the car while it's on a single jack.

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
All my parts arrived today intact. It took e-acca almost a month to get all the parts in stock and shipping was $120 but it got here, and from eastern Europe in less than 4 days. As you can see, Lucy and I are excited to install the shields tomorrow. Springs next weekend :D

Attachments

• 2016-04-05 02.49.53.jpg
    2016-04-05 02.49.53.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 1,821

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All my parts arrived today intact. It took e-acca almost a month to get all the parts in stock and shipping was $120 but it got here, and from eastern Europe in less than 4 days. As you can see, Lucy and I are excited to install the shields tomorrow. Springs next weekend :D

I see you ordered the bigger Passat rear axle tray & not the MK6 Golf one? Let me know if it fits as I had my doubts as on a hatch the exhaust will get in the way of the rear upstand etc which is why I recommended the mk6 hatch version for the hatch as I have an estate which has the exhaust routed differently, Please re-read my write up on it :cool:

Anyway congratulations on getting the stuff shipped to the USA!!...;)

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
I see you ordered the bigger Passat rear axle tray & not the MK6 Golf one? Let me know if it fits as I had my doubts as on a hatch the exhaust will get in the way of the rear upstand etc which is why I recommended the mk6 hatch version for the hatch as I have an estate which has the exhaust routed differently, Please re-read my write up on it :cool:

Anyway congratulations on getting the stuff shipped to the USA!!...;)

Thank you for the salutations and concern about the rear axle cover. I decided to give the larger, Passat-style a go. It appears that the two versions share all the same mounting points, save the upstand. So unless I'm mistaken the larger version should be plenty secure if I cut that piece off. Additional thoughts are always welcome though.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I decided to give the larger, Passat-style a go. It appears that the two versions share all the same mounting points, save the upstand. So unless I'm mistaken the larger version should be plenty secure if I cut that piece off. Additional thoughts are always welcome though.

I had thought that, also you see the flexi silver foil on the back of the front tunnel panel, this is a heat shield, & you can get that stuff from motorsorts shops. You might have to fit some to the rear axle tray as the exhaust pipe might be very close to it in the area where you cut the upstand off.

Anyway let me /the thread know how you get on, if it fits I'll add the info to the front page post & credit/blame you....;)

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
I had thought that, also you see the flexi silver foil on the back of the front tunnel panel, this is a heat shield, & you can get that stuff from motorsorts shops. You might have to fit some to the rear axle tray as the exhaust pipe might be very close to it in the area where you cut the upstand off.

Anyway let me /the thread know how you get on, if it fits I'll add the info to the front page post & credit/blame you....;)

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into that if it appears necessary. I was only able to get the front shield installed today as I got a late start, and had one hell of a time getting those brackets installed on the crash bar. Drivers side (left hand drive) was particularly tricky. I had to disconnect the horn and the washer on that bolt kept hitting some bump in the crash bar, causing the bracket bolt to get crooked and it kept threading crooked into the bar hole instead of the bracket. Squeezing a ratchet up there to tighten everything was a nightmare as well. But after a couple of beers and lots of swearing I got them in and the shield installed, only to realive had forgotten to reconnect the horn! All in all a pretty straight forward install, just very tricky getting those brackets on.