GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dyno run hints VW GTI power might be significantly underrated

GTI-PP

This is from AutoBlog, it' a youtube video of a GTI MK7 on a dynojet.

"VW claims 210hp & 258tq. With 15% drive train loss we are seeing 263hp & 314tq while 100% stock."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/03/dyno-run-vw-gti-underrated-report/

The video says vehicle is 100% stock using 91 octane fuel, ambient temperature was approximately 70 degrees Fahrenheit. All runs were done in 3rd gear since the speed limiter would not allow a 4th gear pull to red line.

Would doing this in 3rd gear change the dyno results?

LG3MK7

Ready to race!
They didn't know vw rated their cars with wheel hp. 3rd gear shouldn't make a difference. Don't think there are any restriction in 3rd or 4th, should be hitting full power in both.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Doing a dyno in 3rd gear is required on any GTI without a tune that lifts the limiter. It doesn't change the outcome, but makes the graph look less smooth overall vs a 4th gear pull.

jjm51

Ready to race!
nice find.

as an older dude i can't see doing mods to this engine, unless your tracking it. which i won't. i just try to keep-up with my rich friends in their much more expensive rides when we do a 'gentleman's' run up thru the canyons.

i think when i finally get the new car they are gonna be surprised. right on.

i will though, hopefully when i get one, will be doing some mods for the first time in my life to enhance the handling of the mk7 pp gti. i'll be asking you guys for help with all that. thanks in advance on that.

thanks, too, for the post and link GTI-PP.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
This is quite exciting and explains a lot actually. I knew from the test drive that there was more than 210hp at the wheels! The stock mk7 GTI felt almost as good as my stage 2 2011 mk6 GTI did! Now with my tune it feels down right beastly!

DAS_STIG

Banned
Underrating "issue" has been known for a while for GTI.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
It's a monster in sheep's clothing for sure. I've surprised a few peeps with modded rides with how quick a stock GTI is.

Once I'm stage 2 with Mich AS3's, I'll surprise many higher output people

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
This car just takes off compared to my MK6.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
So I guess this means that the increased numbers of horsepower and torque that APR (and the other tuners) claim need to be cut in half???

C'monnnnn now

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
This car just takes off compared to my MK6.

Yeah but almost 260lb-ft will do that, that is significantly more than MK6. Stage 1 MK6 is supposed to be like 270-280 ish, and driving back to back the shove is pretty similar with MK7 running out of puff a bit sooner stock.