GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Change Oil Analysis

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've got the results back from BlackStone Labs for my first oil change.

I changed the factory fill it at 5,500 miles. Red lined it a few times and drove it pretty aggressively after the first 1,000 miles. I'm in the Northeast US and got the car in October 2014 if you're curious of environment and time driven.

I filled it with AMS Oil 5w-40 European Formula and replaced the OEM filter. I did not replace the oil plug as it looked just fine.

Attached is the report.

Attachments

• 2015 GTI Oil.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,348

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Stamps, thank you for the update. Your next oil analysis should provide a good comparison between the factory filled Castrol and the Amsoil 5w-40.

I was surprised to see how low the metal counts were on your first oil change. I wonder if Volkswagen is breaking the engines in on a dyno then immediately changing out the break-in oil with factory fill Castrol?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Thanks for sharing this.

No, VW does not break in them on a dyno or anything like that.
They just do a short "dry" test run without fuel.

What about sulfur?

Last edited:

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
I was surprised to see how low the metal counts were on your first oil change. I wonder if Volkswagen is breaking the engines in on a dyno then immediately changing out the break-in oil with factory fill Castrol?

my guess the reason for the low metal my guess would be put down to modern tech. As has been said many times, these engines are not like engines years ago, and I would doubt any major manufacturer has the time to "run in" engines on high volume production lines. You think the waiting times are long now :)

Last edited:

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
What about sulfur?

I'm not sure.. Why would you like to see it?

EB2429 said:
my guess the reason for the low metal my guess would be put down to modern tech. As has been said many times, these engines are not like engines years ago, and I would doubt any major manufacturer has the time to "run in" engines on high volume production lines.

I agree with you and think it is safe to speculate that that modern technology allows us to keep the mechanical tolerances much tighter/closer to spec. Though, I think they may do a short run in of the engine.

TecklenburgVW said:
I wonder if Volkswagen is breaking the engines in on a dyno then immediately changing out the break-in oil with factory fill Castrol?

I do think they do a short run in of the engine. I'm not sure of how they manufacture and assemble the engines/cars. It seems to me that the engine would be its own sub assembly done in a different line and tested individually. Then after those individual tests pass they get brought to the final assembly line and placed in a car (then tested as a whole later).

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
Stamps, thank you for the update. Your next oil analysis should provide a good comparison between the factory filled Castrol and the Amsoil 5w-40.

I'm going to pull the AMS oil out at 5,500 (same as I did with the factory fill) so we have a good base line.

If the analysis comes back good for each of the following then this will be my plan:
  • AMS Oil pulled at 11,000 miles odometer(5,500 on the oil). Replace filter, change oil and inspect oil plug.
  • AMS Oil pulled at 18,500 miles odometer(7,500 on the oil). Replace filter, change oil and inspect oil plug.
  • AMS Oil pulled at 28,500 miles odometer(10,000 on the oil). Replace filter, change oil and inspect oil plug.

If the AMS oil comes out good in all those tests then I'd like to stick with it every 10,000 as VW recommends. I'll be able to accomplish the above within the year as I do 28k-35k a year.

Maybe after that I'll switch over brand (Motul seems to get a lot of love here) and test that as well so the information is available.

Also (just to have some more information), my driving is mixed highway/city. I've put in 93 octane from ExxonMobil. 6 Speed Manual Transmission. The car is currently stock, but a Neuspeed Power Module and Injen Intake will be arriving later in the week (installed over the weekend).

Last edited:

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Interesting, I will follow your tread. Oil maintenance is the most important thing to make an engine last over the years!

/Peter

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I do think they do a short run in of the engine. I'm not sure of how they manufacture and assemble the engines/cars. It seems to me that the engine would be its own sub assembly done in a different line and tested individually. Then after those individual tests pass they get brought to the final assembly line and placed in a car (then tested as a whole later).
You should read what I said before.

There is no break in. There even is no test run besides the dry run I mentioned.

The first real run with fuel is when the finished car leaves the production line.

And btw, at least all the European market EA888 (GTI & R) engines are made
at the Audi plant in Györ/Hungary.

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
You should read what I said before.

There is no break in. There even is no test run besides the dry run I mentioned.

The first real run with fuel is when the finished car leaves the production line.

And btw, at least all the European market EA888 (GTI & R) engines are made
at the Audi plant in Györ/Hungary.
Thanks for the info!

I wasn't aware that you knew for a fact that that is how it happens.

JcarrollWS6

Ready to race!
I have a question. The factory fill is generally 5w-40 Castrol Edge O.E. The "should be" numbers reported on the lower half of the Blackstone sheet reflect the targets for a 5w-30 as you listed on the top of the form. Did you mean to list the factory fill as 5w-30?

If it was indeed the factory 5w-40, the viscosity indices of your used oil had dropped significantly from their new test numbers. The 40 weight oil dropped to a 30 weight class. Not actually an issue from engine protection standpoint, as 5w-30 is also specified for this engine, but it's interesting to see the viscosity index drop from 14.x to 11.2 at 100*C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a question. The factory fill is generally 5w-40 Castrol Edge O.E. The the "should be" numbers reported on the lower half of the Blackstone sheet reflect the targets for a 5w-30 as you listed on the top of the form.

In this case, the viscosity indices of your used oil had dropped significantly from their new numbers. The 40 weight oil dropped to a 30 weight class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good eyes, though, I had provided them the 5w-30 number as that is what I thought the factory fill was.

They do no check for viscosity in the analysis.

I should have my second analysis soon for the change in did at 10,500.