GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 Golf R ECU Upgrade!

snsd555

hi Arin, i went to the APR dealer today here in Singapore and was told that this released 'AU market' tune was not yet compatible to the cars here in Singapore & Malaysia.

will you guys be releasing a new map for us or is it just getting the files to be compatible to our local cars?

thanks!

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
As indicated above, the release is currently only for the Australian Market. We are adding market support upon completed testing and other things and will be updating the product pages and threads as this happens.

Any of the Golf R's in Australia data log their times with a vbox? Curious to see the time improvement from stock.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
It's a fantastic tune. I've had it for 2 months now and loving it. The low/mid torque is fantastic and car hammers from 2500 rpm to red line.

It would definitely raise turbo boost as compared to stock I can clearly hear it more. I had my Soundaktor turned off and now have the VWR R600 intake and the combination is fantastic.

My tuner was one of the main testers in Australia and stated that DSG started to show some slippage at 540nm and above so that would be reason for lower power/torque tunes. From that I'm taking it that DSG tune definitely required for Stage 2.

I just need APR to release DSG flash to fix the sluggish D mode and increase the clutch clamping and car will be perfect!

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Well Revo is claiming 371hp/360ft-lbs with their stage 1 and they say that gives a 0-60mph time of 3.7 seconds (DSG of course). So I'm guessing APR would be the same, maybe a tenth or two faster.

That's on 100 RON. We only have 98 widely available in the states (93 octane).

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It's a fantastic tune. I've had it for 2 months now and loving it. The low/mid torque is fantastic and car hammers from 2500 rpm to red line.

It would definitely raise turbo boost as compared to stock I can clearly hear it more. I had my Soundaktor turned off and now have the VWR R600 intake and the combination is fantastic.

My tuner was one of the main testers in Australia and stated that DSG started to show some slippage at 540nm and above so that would be reason for lower power/torque tunes. From that I'm taking it that DSG tune definitely required for Stage 2.

I just need APR to release DSG flash to fix the sluggish D mode and increase the clutch clamping and car will be perfect!

it's my understanding a DSG tune DOES NOT do anything to the clutches clamping force, it only makes it shift faster, so the DSG clutches will not last longer or not slip.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
it's my understanding a DSG tune DOES NOT do anything to the clutches clamping force, it only makes it shift faster, so the DSG clutches will not last longer or not slip.

Have you spoken to APR or similar to check this? When I spoke to my local APR tuner he stated that in testing they were increasing the clamping by 40+%. I am positive that Harding Performance do this. I will be checking with both before I decide on which DSG tune to get. If HP do it and APR don't then I will definitely go with the HP tune.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
No, APR's tune DOES increase the clamping force of the DSG.

Edit: Well, at least their tune for the MK6 did.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

This past weekend APR finally had a chance to run the new North American MK7 Golf R and the APR Stage 3 MK7 GTI at the local quarter mile drag strip. During Montgomery Motorsport Park’s “Street Night – Test and Tune” event, the Golf R and GTI were all but lost in a sea of big American muscle cars tearing up the track. However, that didn’t stop APR from setting two new NHRA certified records.

The recently-delivered MK7 Golf R was outfitted with APR’s prototype 19×8.5” wheels, lowering springs, and Michelin tires, giving the R the look they desired. Under the hood, APR’s Carbon Fiber Intake was fitted.

The evening began with running baseline passes. The stock Golf R ECU calibration was installed and resulted in a respectable 12.81@105.75 MPH. With track conditions rapidly worsening and density altitude slightly climbing, APR’s engineers switched over to the Stage I ECU Upgrade and lined up for another pass. The result was a US spec S3/Golf R record of 12.07@111.74 MPH! Most impressive of all, it was achieved using only 93 octane pump fuel, a full interior and street tires.

As track conditions dramatically deteriorated, APR’s engineers didn’t have high hopes for the Stage III development MK7 GTI, but were still able to set a new record. “We knew the track conditions were not favorable for the results we wanted, but we still had a great opportunity to collect data” said one of APR’s Calibrators. “We only ran an 11.8@118.5 so we knew something wasn’t right. After looking at the logs, we found room for improvement as the ECU was dialing back power. We’re excited to make a few changes and head back for more testing!”

APR’s Stage III Turbocharger System for the new EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSI is under development with an anticipated release date set for later this year. To read more about APR’s currently available software and hardware packages for the MK7 Golf R and GTI, please visit www.goapr.com.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Arin, that's a great result. Be good to see an 11 soon! Super impressive from stage 1!

Can you clear up on DSG tune whether it will increase clutch clamping? Hoping to keep car all APR!

EF_Heynen

Passed Driver's Ed
Arin, would you say the high output file is good for the golf r for all driving conditions?
Can you elaborate on the differences between high and low.
Is there any reason to consider the low file on the golf r,?