GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to run in a new gti engine?

K77

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello fellow VW enthusiasts,

Would really appetite your advice on this, asked my dealer and he said he will have a word with the technicians and get back to me but I am a complete novice into buying a new car (and this is my first performance car ever...right now driving a MK5 1.4S with 75bhp [it really is as slow as it sounds]...so you can imagine what the upgraded 2litre turbo 230 bhp[performance pack] will do to my smile when I put my right foot down!) and want to know what is the best way to run in the new engine...I have no idea of what revs to keep to and for how long to run the engine in so will much appreciate the advice!

Thank you.

Sandweiler

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi K77 and congrats on your new ride :)
For you it will be like switching from a skate-board to the Space Shuttle :D
I am sure you will be amazed on how powerful and responsive the GTI is!

Concerning your engine my dealer just told me that I should be careful during the first 1000km and not exceed 4000 RPM's.
It is probably more than enough if you stick to this rule, but most importantely make sure your oil temperature (90 degrees) is OK before you push the car a little.
If I were you I will stick to the 1000km rule and just take it easy for few weeks. It should not take too long before you hit 1000 km :p

K77

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Sandweiler,

Just want to say thank you very much and that in short yes!...it is like switching from a skate-board to the space shuttle...well put haha!

Thank you very much for your advice and thank you Judesman too. I'm not expecting delivery for a while yet as I don't have a confirmed build week yet but when I do receive my new pride and joy I'm sure it will be impossible to contain my smile!

I have realised there was a previous post on this subject, so sorry for re-posting it, but thank you for the much appreciated advice.

joema2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI 6MT
...want to know what is the best way to run in the new engine...

This is an often-debated subject. On one hand people say follow exactly what the owner's manual says (which itself is often very vague and subject to interpretation). OTOH there are guys like "Motoman" who say run it hard: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The people who say break it in easy are often unaware that certain car mfgs run each engine on a dyno at high power before building the car. I don't know what VW does for the EA888 engine, but some mfgs (like Ferrari) track test each *new* car before selling it. Even a brand new one has already been thrashed pretty hard at the factory track. That doesn't ruin the engine.

Lots of people take "European delivery" of Porsches, BMWs and Audis so they can drive them on the Autobahn at sustained high speed -- when brand new.

I once knew a group of young tech entrepreneurs who all bought new Porsche 911s with European delivery. One guy was so worried about break in, when they were on the factory tour he looked up the technician who built his engine -- each one is assembled by one person -- and asked him what break-in procedure should he use, considering they were headed for the Autobahn. The technician grinned and said "just lift throttle for overpasses".

The book "Sportbike Performance Handbook" discussed how newer manufacturing and metallurgy technologies affect the optimal running in procedure on new motorcycle engines:

"Asked about break-in of race engines, Wiseco Piston Company's Tom Kipp, Sr, said: "After about 20 hard pulls on the dyno, the blowby volume has dropped by half and that seems to be it".

"Thirty years go, piston rings were less well-finished, and the cylinder wall had to be used as a file to shave them into intimate contact. This was the function of the old, relatively coarse, 60-degree crosshatch honing pattern used as a cylinder wall finish. This degree of roughness was essential to remove the necessary metal from the rings to make the seal."

"Today, the standard wall finish is...called a plateau finish. The cylinder is first coarse-honed, then finished with either a much finer hone or a plateau brush. This leaves the cylinder wall as a series of smooth-surfaced islands, surrounded by the deeper incissions left by the coarse hone. The incissions limit how far any scuffing -- smearing of metal -- can go, and they also serve to retain oil."

"Even with such accurately manufactured parts, bike engines still require break-in to finally seat their piston rings."

"Sensible instructions for breaking in on the street call for something surprisingly similar: frequent applications of full throttle acceleration, but without holding high rpms or load for long periods. Between throttle applications, the engine oil system can carry away wear particles to the filter, and excess heat developed in areas contact has time to diffuse."

"Engines today are so well manufactured, with such good surface finishes, that it takes real power to push the smooth parts through the separating oil-and-additive film, into the partial contact that is necessary to achieving a final, high-quality fit."

"You may have heard the old-timers say, 'Break it in fast, and it'll be fast. Break it in slow, and it'll always be slow.' There is enough truth in this to make it memorable"

There are valid opinions on both sides of the break-in issue. Besides anecdotal experience, nobody really knows for sure.

To know for certain you'd have to treat it like a medical question, say whether a certain diet causes cancer. You'd have to follow dozens or hundreds of new vehicles over their operational life, meticulously tracking the break in, operational use, maintenance, environment, etc. Such studies are expensive. Even for a car manufacturer to do this, they'd have to instrument a fleet of cars during break in, analyze the data, correlate it to service issues, etc. They don't do that.

I'd personally be afraid to really thrash a brand new car, but I have seen that happen with brand new sport bikes on the racetrack, and it generally causes no problem. Some manufacturers and dealers even offer an extra-cost "dyno break in" procedure where they rapidly ramp up the engine load on a dyno, culminating in extended max rpm, max throttle operation for extended periods, then they change the oil.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd mainly avoid obvious things -- don't hop on the freeway and set cruise control for long periods, etc. Vary engine rpm and load -- that kind of thing.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Thinks it is covered pretty well in the manual??

K77

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, sorry took this long to post but thank you very much for your posts, I think the best way to run it in is for the first 1000 miles to keep it within 4000 revs and to vary the revs...just can't wait to actually get the car now and to get past the 1000miles haha!

GC854

Ready to race!
Hey guys, sorry took this long to post but thank you very much for your posts, I think the best way to run it in is for the first 1000 miles to keep it within 4000 revs and to vary the revs...just can't wait to actually get the car now and to get past the 1000miles haha!

Longest 1000 miles in history:) Remember too that the brakes need to bed in as well so try to avoid any really harsh braking initially. People also report that new tyres also need to scrub in before they produce ultimate grip.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Longest 1000 miles in history:) Remember too that the brakes need to bed in as well so try to avoid any really harsh braking initially. People also report that new tyres also need to scrub in before they produce ultimate grip.

True, couldn't agree more!!!

salmon

Ready to race!
Yep definately take it easy for the first 1000.

On another matter - MPG - i've had to wait upto 10k to start seeing the desired MPG results.

Chr15b

Ready to race!

hadnt thought about that. wasnt impressed with the Bridgestones when i got the car, done 3k now and havent thought about the tyres for the last 2500 or so..

K77

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks GC854, I wasn't aware about the breaks so thank you very much for your help.

K77

Passed Driver's Ed
my other comment to this is - that moment after taking it gentle for 1000 miles or so when the roads are clear and you hit sport and keep your foot down ;)

a moment i will always remember with this car.

Hi Chr15b,

I can only imagine what that must have felt like!!! I really can not wait for me to be able to experience the same feeling that you had!!!