GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing dealer stickers

Flup

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I picked up my lovely new 2.0 GTi on Saturday \o/ and now, as I sit by the window admiring it, my eye is drawn to the horrible dealer sticker at the top of the rear window. I didn't notice it on the walkaround (I was too busy microscopically examining the bodywork!).

It's a laser-cut sticker, and is glued to the outside of the back window. I had a quick go with a fingernail but couldn't budge it. It looks starkly awful next to the shiny blank paintwork. Any ideas how I could remove it without making too much of a mess?

Cheers
- Ian

Dazza78

Ready to race!
This reminds me, (sorry to hijack) but do they put any kind of circular stickers on the back window.

Everytime my rear window mists up I can se a circle shape (must remember to wipe it) it must be on the inside as I have cleaned the outside a few times now.

Flup

Passed Driver's Ed
This reminds me, (sorry to hijack) but do they put any kind of circular stickers on the back window.

Everytime my rear window mists up I can se a circle shape (must remember to wipe it) it must be on the inside as I have cleaned the outside a few times now.

No stickers on the inside of mine. Am looking forward to tax discs going away so I can dispense with that too ;)

Hello_Mr_Mo

Passed Driver's Ed

Dazza, I have the same issue. However, I think those circles are from the suction pads the factories use to put the windscreen in place. Some glass cleaner should do the trick.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Hi,

I picked up my lovely new 2.0 GTi on Saturday \o/ and now, as I sit by the window admiring it, my eye is drawn to the horrible dealer sticker at the top of the rear window. I didn't notice it on the walkaround (I was too busy microscopically examining the bodywork!).

It's a laser-cut sticker, and is glued to the outside of the back window. I had a quick go with a fingernail but couldn't budge it. It looks starkly awful next to the shiny blank paintwork. Any ideas how I could remove it without making too much of a mess?

Cheers
- Ian

I'm gobsmacked that the dealer didn't remove this sticker during the pre-delivery "let's screw up the new car's paintwork" valet.

You need some sort of glue/adhesive remover - IMO the best is AutoSmart Tardis, or AutoFiness Oblitarate.

First soak a folded pad of kitchen roll in the solvent and leave it over the offending sticker to start work on the glue, then once it has softened a bit, use a plastic scraper of some sort to ease the sticker off of the glass, and then use solvent to clean off the glue residue.

Hope this helps.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Hi,

Cheers
- Ian

If it’s on the outside of the window no problem. (Inside have heating strings...)

Clean it with hot water, makes the sticker softer. Try to remove it again with your fingers.

If not possible take a traditional razor blade and scrape it away with about 45 degree angel.. Shouldn’t be any problem :). The windows are very "hard", shouldn’t cause scratches.

Edit: Watch out for to operate near the paintwork, for sure you can easy scratch the paint. FYI I have done it many times with razorblade, specially on old stickers which could be hard to remove.

/Peter

Last edited:

Flup

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm gobsmacked that the dealer didn't remove this sticker during the pre-delivery "let's screw up the new car's paintwork" valet.

It's a dealer sticker -- they put it on!

You need some sort of glue/adhesive remover - IMO the best is AutoSmart Tardis, or AutoFiness Oblitarate.

First soak a folded pad of kitchen roll in the solvent and leave it over the offending sticker to start work on the glue, then once it has softened a bit, use a plastic scraper of some sort to ease the sticker off of the glass, and then use solvent to clean off the glue residue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it does, although it might wait until the warmer weather!

One more question: is there any household cleaning product that might do the job?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
It's a dealer sticker -- they put it on!

Heck - that's even worse.

"No stickers" and "Do not wash my car" are two things I insist are entered onto the service docket whenever my car visits the dealership, plus I hang a "Do not wash this vehicle" sign on the rear-view mirror.

One typically bad dealership wash with a dirty cloth/brush etc. can ruin years of careful car-care.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Dazza, I have the same issue. However, I think those circles are from the suction pads the factories use to put the windscreen in place. Some glass cleaner should do the trick.
Same here, thought kids had drawn olympic rings at first. Except nothing will shift them: glass cleaner, car shampoo, washing up liquid, Pledge, Mr Sheen. Think they are there for good....

Mummbles

Car(s)
Na

uuggh! I have these circles appear on my windscreen after a short period. bloody annoying and I've not been able to be rid of them permanently as yet.
have used a couple of different glass cleaners but still they return.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I used GTechniq G4 glass polish followed by a wipe-down with GTechniq G6 Perfect Glass which did the trick.

Yes, I know I'm banging the GTechniq again, but like our beloved Volkswagen Golf, they work well with no frills or BS.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I hang a "Do not wash this vehicle" sign on the rear-view mirror.
Way to subtle Rob. I stick an A4 size sign on the inside of the driver and passenger windows!

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Well ... ... ... I do have a laminated A4 sign to supplement the smaller one.

GTD184

Ready to race!
One more question: is there any household cleaning product that might do the job?

White spirit/turpentine will remove any sticky residue but you will need to remove the offending vinyl part of the transfer first.

To remove the vinyl stickers you can use a hair dryer.

Hope this helps;)