GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windscreen scratches

tom1

Ready to race!
I have noticed in the last few days when the sun is shining I can see fine scratches across my whole windscreen in the direction the wipers have been moving, anyone else notice this?

Would also appreciate it if someone could give me any tips to try and help remove them? I have tried some Autoglym glass polish today without any joy.

Sonicbasher

Passed Driver's Ed
Windscreen marks are more than likely Fine Grit on the screen, it has happened to me , VERY carefully remove Wipers and clean them in a solution of washer fluid then I use VERY carefully same solution on the screen with a Yellow/Green pad you can get from a supermarket for your washup and clean it with that the green side, yep really,, Take your time DONT rub too hard and it should do it , if not , NO Idea. Auto glym makes your Rubbers sqeek!.

tom1

Ready to race!
I decided to take it to Autoglass today seems I had a day off and the weather is horrible.

The result......they say I need a new windscreen and that my wipers have most likely caused it from bad contact. I have been using the bosch wipers after my original wipers that came with the mk7 had the smear issue, firstly I was impressed with the bosch wipers but slowly they have become awful. I had to change the smaller wiper back to the original vw as the bosch one was jumping all over the screen on the odd swipe and it was driving me insane. The driver side wiper has also developed its own smear but seems to be more confined to the center of the windscreen.

I also asked the guy's opinion on my wipers, if they look and feel like genuine bosch wipers. He and me both think they are and that it's possibly something to do with the wiper arms. Time to make a trip to VW I guess before I pay out for a new windscreen.

The reason for a new windscreen: Cheaper to make a claim on my insurance than to pay to get the scratches removed, that's the advice I was given by Autoglass. And as it stands right now the scratches are affecting the screen as the water seems to stick into the scratches and leave lines across the screen even after the wipers have wiped over them

marvin1

Ready to race!
I decided to take it to Autoglass today seems I had a day off and the weather is horrible.

The result......they say I need a new windscreen and that my wipers have most likely caused it from bad contact. I have been using the bosch wipers after my original wipers that came with the mk7 had the smear issue, firstly I was impressed with the bosch wipers but slowly they have become awful. I had to change the smaller wiper back to the original vw as the bosch one was jumping all over the screen on the odd swipe and it was driving me insane. The driver side wiper has also developed its own smear but seems to be more confined to the center of the windscreen.

I also asked the guy's opinion on my wipers, if they look and feel like genuine bosch wipers. He and me both think they are and that it's possibly something to do with the wiper arms. Time to make a trip to VW I guess before I pay out for a new windscreen.

The reason for a new windscreen: Cheaper to make a claim on my insurance than to pay to get the scratches removed, that's the advice I was given by Autoglass. And as it stands right now the scratches are affecting the screen as the water seems to stick into the scratches and leave lines across the screen even after the wipers have wiped over them

In my opinion, for what it is worth there is no way you could remove extensive mild scratch marks without causing optical distortion and I wouldn't want that. Apart from kits you can buy that require the use of power tools you won't remove scratches with any domestic or car glass cleaner.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Marvin - Have you ever heard of Micro-Mesh? It's intended exactly for such purposes and is used by the military on aircraft windscreens/cockpit canopies etc., It can be used by hand and would do such a job well. Before you suggest it, Micro-mesh is equally good on glass and Perspex etc., I've used it to excellent effect on glass headlights.

That aside, I would want a new windscreen in this case.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Marvin - Have you ever heard of Micro-Mesh? It's intended exactly for such purposes and is used by the military on aircraft windscreens/cockpit canopies etc., It can be used by hand and would do such a job well. Before you suggest it, Micro-mesh is equally good on glass and Perspex etc., I've used it to excellent effect on glass headlights.

That aside, I would want a new windscreen in this case.

No, I haven't actually but wonder whether the vision through aircraft windscreens/canopies requires quite the accuity of vision that a motorist requires when looking through a rather more limited area of glass and where the ability to read difficult road signs is required and also motorists require constant forward vision and so any distortions would tire one's eyes. IMHO of course.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
No, I haven't actually but wonder whether the vision through aircraft windscreens/canopies requires quite the accuity of vision that a motorist requires when looking through a rather more limited area of glass and where the ability to read difficult road signs is required and also motorists require constant forward vision and so any distortions would tire one's eyes. IMHO of course.

Well there's a surprise.

Long distance identification of hostile aircraft? Landing in poor weather? Night flying? I'm sure there are plenty similar situations.

Try arguing your view with most professional pilots and you'll have quite a struggle justifying them I'll wager.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Well there's a surprise.

Long distance identification of hostile aircraft? Landing in poor weather? Night flying? I'm sure there are plenty similar situations.

Try arguing your view with most professional pilots and you'll have quite a struggle justifying them I'll wager.

Oh dear, I seem to lose every discussion with yourself and thought I would just give my opinion on this matter. You are clearly, as always, better informed than myself - I give up, to be honest.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Essjay

Ready to race!
I'm sorry Marvin, but I have to agree with Rob on this one. Did you actually think about what you were writing before you posted, because it certainly doesn't look like it :(

marvin1

Ready to race!
I'm sorry Marvin, but I have to agree with Rob on this one. Did you actually think about what you were writing before you posted, because it certainly doesn't look like it :(

Absolutely. I think it would be impossible to satisfactorily remove fine scratching from all over the wiped surface of a car's windscreen without leaving optical aberrations visible, which on wet nights with streets lights etc would be less than ideal.

However, I might give it a go on an old banger if its windscreen had some fine scratches.

Essjay

Ready to race!
Absolutely. I think it would be impossible to satisfactorily remove fine scratching from all over the wiped surface of a car's windscreen without leaving optical aberrations visible, which on wet nights with streets lights etc would be less than ideal.

However, I might give it a go on an old banger if its windscreen had some fine scratches.

I think you misunderstand Marvin, I was talking about your ludicrous comment re: aircraft windscreens :confused:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Yes Marvin, you clearly misunderstood what I said and have absolutely no idea about aircraft. I would have thought it plainly obvious to anyone that an optically perfect windscreen/windows or canopy was utterly essential to all aviators. Yes, you'll see plenty of scratches while sitting back clutching your bucket, spade and inflatable donkey in the back of one of Con-man O'Leary's 737s, but go up front and you'll see the glass is all optically perfect ... ... ... why ... ... ... because it's regularly polished with Micro-Mesh or similar because it's totally essential that aircrew have perfect vision from the cockpit/flight-deck.

No, you aren't losing a discussion - I'm purely pointing out the inaccuracy in your reply to mine. I don't want to be in conflict with you, I have tried to agree with you on many occasions recently but you don't seem to take any notice.

Wolksvagen

Banned
I have removed scratches from a windshield, even sapphire crystal using diamond paste and can report no noticeable optical distortion.

At best it is negligible, you would have to focus on one spot and remove a fair bit of glass (relatively speaking) to cause anything noticeable.

GTD184

Ready to race!
If they are only fine scratches it might be a good idea prior to a screen change (last resort IMO) to approach a car detailer to see if he can polish out the scratches. After all the screen is laminated and I have seen detailers polish scratches from vehicle tail lights and headlights be they polycarbonate.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Why get a dealer to polish it when you can easily do it yourself at negligible cost?