GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R DRL's - is it possible

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I think this could be sorted - you would just need the coding from an R - they are both xenon/LED units so no fundamental difference - just the design of the LED's within the housings. People have sucessfully retrofitted xenons into halogen unit cars in the past....as long as the basic headlight unit is the same in terms of external shape and fittings etc.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
MarkV i dont think this is right, i had a Xenon/LED DRLs ordered and recieved a Xenon non LED DRL, the dealer originally tried to switch the headlight with that of his own GTD and they wouldnt work....
Not at all surpprised at that - dealers are hopeless when it comes to anything that requires a mod or coding etc.

kenny.c

Ready to race!
Dealers struggle to do anything "outside the box" anything like modding as when they carry out any coding their system requires a car download and a request to VW for the new coding......Something like changing headlights is unlikley to be supported by VW technical. Someone with a Rosstech lead and leaving it a few months so Ross Tech get the code helper totally sorted for the MK7 youll have a much better chance of getting things like this done.

Ken

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Excellent post Ken - totally agree :)

anilberke

I think this could be sorted - you would just need the coding from an R - they are both xenon/LED units so no fundamental difference - just the design of the LED's within the housings. People have sucessfully retrofitted xenons into halogen unit cars in the past....as long as the basic headlight unit is the same in terms of external shape and fittings etc.

but led xenons have dynamic and static cornering lights. Dynamic cornering lights need a different control unit. Thats why that gtd's led xenon did not work on the non led xenon car.

R double u led part codes:

5G1941044C 5G1941043C

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
But presume it could be done - even if you needed to replace the controllers. Its just a question of how much is different between the two. The chaps that have replaced halogens with xenons must have had a harder time?

Last edited:

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, c'mon!

I really want a look like THIS!

GTD184

Ready to race!
It appears that in some markets the "R" model twin DRL's are standard fit on GTD?

'Mihaelo1' The owner of the linked GTD confirms his twin DRL's were standard fit. If that is the case then a retrofit of the Golf "R" lights for UK GTD's and GTI's may be possible:)

Link from GTI forum - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sk2nrh3rvtu90jn/vOTVS06G4S

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I have to say they look like the normal ones - only the outer 'U' illuminated! See picture 139 (very nice set of photos btw - all 300 plus!)

GTD184

Ready to race!
I have to say they look like the normal ones - only the outer 'U' illuminated! See picture 139 (very nice set of photos btw - all 300 plus!)

On further perusal of some of the images it does appear you are correct. The images where the twin "U" DRL's appear to be illuminated must be due to light transfer from the Xenon light.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Yes - I think its light transfer - making the inner one look illuminated. Great set of photos and very envious of the alcantara/part leather option which we are denied here....