GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 SD card and Album art

golfgtdude

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello All,

I recently ditched my ipod in favour of using the SD card facility for music playback as I think its better.

I don't know if anyone has experienced this but trying to get the head unit to display the album art doesn't always work.

The head unit appears to pick up the album image from any JPG in the same root folder as the music files or whatever is encoded into the music file (MP3, WMA etc).

After some trial and error I discovered for some file it was down to the embedded MP3 being of a too big size, so editing those down and it works for some e.g. no larger and 400x400 pixels. However for the rest I just can't get them to display anything no matter what i've tried.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and do you have any know fixed for the issue?

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I have the exact same problem. From other threads, my limited understanding is that are different formats of jpeg files. Possibly one works and others don't.

Hopefully somebody on here can put us straight.

Also, When ripping from CDs I use variable rate WMA files, the quality is much better than MP3.

golfgtdude

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I did wonder that myself to be honest, changed lots of things, DPI resolution etc all to no avail.

I just thought lobbing a post on here might save me the extra effort trying to get to the bottom of it.:(

Stig's American Cousin

Ready to race!
I had the same issue. Apparently even though the pixel size was ok the actual file size was to big. So I would just change the settings on the file to reduce the file size. I think the recommended size is under 70KB. So it may be as simple as that. you embedding the images in an tag?

golfgtdude

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I've tried all that and it still doesn't work. I had some that worked with large file sizes by default which stumped me and some that we 600x600 which isn't recommended - proper weird.

Going to do some more digging...

pjr

Ready to race!
I think the maximum size is 400x400 pixels and less than 200kb.

I haven't had any issues with mine, after embedding the jpg files for the album art inside the MP3 files, rather than storing them in the folder.

Stig's American Cousin

Ready to race!
I think the maximum size is 400x400 pixels and less than 200kb.

I haven't had any issues with mine, after embedding the jpg files for the album art inside the MP3 files, rather than storing them in the folder.

Yeah I was going to say none of the ones I embedded have been a problem at all its always the ones that don't have anything embedded that are the issue. I've slowly been embedding all my artwork.

VW Villan

Passed Driver's Ed
I've found Fotosizer to be very good at helping get the jpegs right. Still, it's very annoying having to faff around with every album I buy before loading it to my SD card...

ommoran

Ready to race!
Meh. I've still got the ipod. And I've found that they've had 10 years to get Album Art right, and they don't - unless you bought the music through them.

yas7862

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep same issue with my GTD as well, the weird thing is that most will come up when I start the car but after a few hrs of playing the same music, they disappear. Ive also noticed that on some songs, the album art is completely different to the ones that should be on there :p.

Weird but meh I cant be bothered to try and fix it, main thing is at least the music plays fine lol.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Ive also noticed that on some songs, the album art is completely different to the ones that should be on there :p.

there are 2 ways to display album art work. The first is to embed the graphic in your MP3 file, the second is have the graphic in the same folder as the music. It appears that the graphic file in the same folder takes priority over the embedded file. I suspect this could be causing your problem.